Forklifts are a diverse group of vehicles that are commonly used in a variety of work environments. The operators of these forklifts require thorough training and certification before they can get behind the wheel. An untrained and uncertified forklift operator will create an unsafe work environment for themselves and for those around them. This guide will introduce you to the primary duties and responsibilities of forklift operators during day-to-day operations.
These are the requirements that all potential operators must meet before being allowed to drive a forklift:
- Must be older than 18
- Forklift certification in accordance with OSHA standards
- Great focus and attention to detail
- Good physical condition
- Strong time-management and communication skills
Operator Duties and Responsibilities
These are the daily duty and responsibilities that forklift operators must adhere to whenever getting behind the wheel:
- Inspecting the forklift. If repairs are necessary, a qualified mechanic will have to make them before anyone can use the truck in the field. Once the repairs are finally finished, the forklift operator must inspect the truck once more.
- Using production schedules to understand handling and transportation details about loads
- Placing loads securely on the forklift
- Following safe driving guidelines to and from locations in the facility
- Accurately monitoring and updating inventory records when necessary
Now you should have a strong understanding of the necessary requirements as well as the primary duties and responsibilities of forklift operators. With a thorough knowledge of the ins and outs of the forklift they are going to operate, forklift operators can maneuver between locations with ease, stability, and safety. If you need help with specific forklift practices, such as rough terrain training, First Quality Forklift Training is here to help. We can provide you with RT forklift training kits as well as many more to help forklift operators learn everything there is to know about these powerful industrial machines.